The world is your oyster. Well now the internet may just seem like that too. From apps, forums, dating sites, chat rooms and other forms of social media it can be a great way to connect with others or exploring new sexual encounters.
As a young person, we are constantly exploring ourselves. A lot of us result to online whether that be to Google a rash or where to find your local gym. You may also be using the internet for other reasons i.e. online spaces, chat rooms etc. Here’s a few tips on how you can get the most out of online spaces:
- Know your boundaries – don’t feel pressure to explore anything that you don’t feel comfortable doing
- Don’t give out personal information until you’ve established a trusting relationship – use messaging apps that don’t link to your exact location or contact details in the meantime
- If you’re planning on meeting in person, meet in a public space and let a friend know
- Don’t bare anything you want to keep private – sometimes pictures and videos circulate online
- Unfortunately not everything is what it seems – some people might be utilising other people’s pictures or might exaggerate their profile details
- Enjoy yourself! – Exploring new networks and kinks online can be really exciting
From Tinder to Grindr – be careful. Never put yourself in a vulnerable situation. If you ever plan on meeting someone via an online application let someone know and meet the proposed person with a friend you know.
Some interesting general and safety tips over at Huffington Post for everyone venturing into the online dating world.
For women: http://www.pinksofa.com/Safety.asp